Friday, April 26, 2013

No....he's not spoiled...and mind your own biz.....

So as a special needs mom, it's progress in the little things that most parents take for granted that is so awesome for me.

I have to brag on my boys for a minute.  YESSIREE!

Yesterday morning I sprinted into our bedroom to change the channel from cartoons because this mama had reached her limit of Dora and I'd rather watch something a little more entertaining while folding laundry.  So...as I take off, SE follows.  I get into the room and manually change the channel on the receiver.  The screen goes black and the only thing that is visible are the show titles on the top.  I'm scanning channels and I pass the Disney channels.  Right after that (screen is still black) SE says, "I want watch Mickey". 

SAY WHAT?!?!  Did he just READ that?!?!  Yes he did.  Second time he's read something out of the blue.  I was amazed.  So I decided to start him on some sight words.  So far he's got about 10 random words, plus his name down!  Did I mention he *just* turned 4 last month?!?!

And C, aka master of disaster.  Well, we got a really good report from KU.  We're (me and C) are rocking the socks off this study!  C's joint attention was rapidly getting better before the study started, but now that we're really focusing on it....watch out!  Still have to work on some things, but he's definitely attending to us more.

Now, let's talk about a delicate subject.

I got a comment yesterday that SE was "spoiled" because he has his own iPad now.  Big shout out to GiGi (my mom) for getting this for our boys.  Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!  Now...we don't have the problem of them fighting over the one we previously had because we have 2.  But I digress, and to address the first comment....no, SE is NOT spoiled.  He did not get the iPad because he asked for it.  He got it because it's a valuable tool in his learning arsenal.  It helps him learn things, focus, helps facilitate turn taking easier and it keeps him calm.

 
 
He uses the iPad at school and in other therapies he has throughout the week.  Why wouldn't we want to give him accessibility to that at home??
 
iPads are great learning tools for kids on the  Autism spectrum.  Some individuals even use an app called Proloquo to functionally communicate!!!!  Unfortunately some families cannot afford to get even one, let alone two for the child/children on the Autism spectrum.  Grants are available, but insurance doesn't cover them for reasons I can understand, like some parents would just look at it as a free iPad!  Sad, because that is at their children's expense.
 
 
 
Here's another good one I got on Wednesday. "Wow, your boys don't look Autistic".
 
Um, last time I checked Autism didn't have a "look".  And even if it did, WHO SAYS SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!?!?!
 
Seriously, some people need to just stop and evaluate what crap is about to come out of their mouths before they release it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
So....onto fitness quest 2013.  I've started a new workout program, the Jamie Eason Live Fit Trainer.  It's a step up from what I've been doing.  I'm desperately trying to add some muscle in an attempt to get those awesome Jillian Michaels tank top arms...
 
 
And the flat abs would be nice too, but hey.....she has n't birthed any kids (especially the 9lb 1oz toddler I pushed out the last time) and her body is her business so she's really good at keeping it lookin' good. 
 
More muscle will also help my craptastically slow metabolism.  BUT...when you add muscle you have to take in enough calories to build it.  Now, we all know there are good calories and bad calories and doing it the right way is tough.  I like food.  No, I really LOVE food.  So I'm trying to make healthier choices while eating a bit more than I'm used to.  3 more weeks of that and I'll be ready to cut the calories back down and add some serious cardio back in!  One more week of no cardio (except the classes I teach).
 
 
Slowly but surely I'll get there.  I can't wait to get back to doing some cardio though.  I miss it.  I will admit lifting heavy is super fun though.  I love that feeling of not being able to raise my arms in the shower because I worked them so hard!  LOVE IT!  My goal was to have great arms in my tank tops this summer and I'm on my way there.  I'm planning to bring up my abs and legs too.  Not too concerned with the scale anymore because like I'm always telling people.....muscle is heavier than fat.  I'll also add that fat is bigger than muscle.  That's why you can weigh more and be a smaller size! 
 
 
 
 
SEE?!?!?!?!?!?
 
This is precisely why I'm not a big fan of the scale or BMI measurements.  Body fat % is (in my opinion) a better way to gauge fitness.  That, and the way your clothes fit.....which needs to change in my case.  My jeans are getting tight and that is NOT cool.  I need to change the way I eat.  And not doing any cardio ain't helping.  1 more week, I can do it!  Then back to lifting and cardio!  WOOT!  I'm thinking some tabata will work really well for cardio after lifting.  Like 20 min of it should do the trick.
 
So...in an effort to get into a 3rd career in the last 7 years.....I'm taking my personal training exam in late June...or maybe early...depending on how much studying I can get done.  The tentative plan is to take the exam, and possibly get a client at the Y I work at and maybe a couple at a different facility if all the insurance stuff can get worked out and the boys can go to the new Autism center I toured a couple weeks ago.  I love our home therapists, but the boys, especially SE, will just do better in a more structured school like environment.  And Lord knows I can't just drive back home after dropping them off....it's 17 miles (one way) away.  So it would benefit all of us for me to find a job around there.  
 
And here's a funny I thought was just SO appropriate for me and my household.  My boys have NO concept of putting something away when they are done with it.  Although, I've been assured this is common in the 2-4 year world.  LOL. 
 
 
That's it for now!!  Tomorrow holds a lot for this mama.  Warrior Dash in the morning and Wonderscope children's museum sensory friendly night in the evening. I'm just hoping this doesn't end up being one of those Autism events where people don't supervise their older kids and expect other parents to just deal with it and accept it because they have Autism and the parents want a break.  UGH.  Don't even get me started about the waterpark.....at any rate we're going!   Should be a fun day!!!
 
 
love,
Supermama rosie
 
 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment