Tuesday, May 28, 2013

No, he doesn't speak Spanish, he just doesn't want to talk to you. LOL.

Sunday we decided to take the boys to a different park that a friend suggested to us. (Thanks Karissa!) It's right by the Missouri river and some train tracks.

While we were there a couple trains went by.....C tried to run after them, essentially running away from us and the playground....completely normal behavior for him. SE liked to see them go by as well although he's now holding his hands over his ears at louder types of sounds. This is new for him and I'm hoping it's a phase, since wearing sound muffling earmuffs will also prevent him from hearing US and other people talking to him.


SE climbing!


SE in the rocket ship!


C navigating the playground



C "chasing" the train



While we were at the park and I was supervising SE playing, a little girl who looked about 7 years old tried to engage him in play and a conversation. He just stared at her for a minute then walked away. The little girl then turned to me and asked, "Does he speak Spanish, because he wouldn't say anything back to me". I chuckled a bit and told her no and that he just wasn't very talkative.

The more I thought about it, the more it bugged me. When will SE interact with peers? Will he ever interact with peers? I've heard that 5 is the magic age when things CLICK for some kiddos on the spectrum. Kids that had previously been very quiet start chatting up a storm, that intense interest in something kicks in, etc. I can't help but wonder if that's going to happen for my little guy. He seems so far from it now, even with all the progress he's made.

My faith tells me that it will come and that this condition of Autism and dealing with it is a marathon, not a sprint. Things never happen on MY time, they happen on God's time. SE didn't speak his first words when I wanted him to, he did so on God's time

Just wish God's time and my time lined up more, ya know? LOL!! Just like I wish it was his will for us to win Powerball too.



C was totally not okay with pulling into the driveway when we got home. Guess he wanted to stay out and about!


In other news, we went to a going away party last weekend for one of the receptionists that works in the hubs' clinic.

Here's my question: when will we be able to go to a get together and actually be able to talk to people? Like have a real conversation without having to shout "No!" "Don't touch that!" "Don't eat food off the ground!" "Do you need to potty?" right in the middle of it? LMAO!



But it was still a good time!


 
C and the hubs
 




And then we got a surprise at the local Price Chopper on Tuesday! I had NEVER seen the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile before!






SE was so excited about the Weinermobile, he couldn't even turn for the photo!



SE's class as well as the other afternoon PreK classes went to the park for a picnic day on one of the last days of school. I brought some cupcakes from Sam's. SE selected Angry Birds over Spiderman and Batman. Good choice son, good choice. The Angry Birds cupcakes had light mint green frosting opposed to the dark red and blue of the other cupcakes. No parent wants a surprise color in the diaper or potty that they weren't neccesarily warned about. Been there, done that. GROSS.

Sidenote: Sam's has the BEST cupcakes. They are perfectly yummy....and cheap! $14 for 30!




C was riding in the cart and kept turning around telling me he wanted cake. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree huh?

And as always, we had to get a slice of pizza after shopping. The first thing both boys say when we walk into Sam's....."PIZZA"!



This is what's left from the ginormous slice we got. I had TWO bites of crust and that's it. The boys polished it off!! Why can't they eat veggies like this?!?!?! Oh yeah, they're 2 and 4...my bad.

When I pulled up to the park where this little picnic was held, I noticed SE was wearing different shorts than I sent him to school in. El accidente. Ms. Jenn was trying to get him into the bathroom at the park, but he kept saying "No thank you". Hey, at least he was polite right?

I don't know what it is, but SE has a huge fear of public bathrooms. Probably one of the main reasons he's not potty trained yet. Hmmmmm. Yet another thing to work on in ABA.

In other news......SE is out of school for summer for this coming week until summer school starts in a week. He's in PreK and the session will start at 7:30am. I got a call from the district transportation department that informed me the bus will come get him at......wait for it.......6:40am!

Yeah....so I think I'm going to just take him at 7:30 and he can ride the bus home. He LOVES riding the bus, but that is just too early for a preschooler to be on the bus...in my humble opinion.


So, summer vacation has officially started!



But not so fast SE and C! Therapy will still continue throughout the summer and I'm actually going to work on some home school activities/field trips for the afternoons.

So we have a big and FUN to-do list for summer!

Now onto MY business...LOL!

I've stated before that I was spoiled with Whole Foods being so close to us when we lived in Colorado. By close, I mean it was about a 20 minute drive. It was actually on the way to my Mom's house. So when I would visit her.....I could stop there and pick up the essentials.

Well, then we move here (northern KC area) and the closest Whole Foods is 50 miles....yes, 50 miles away!!! It takes an hour to get there! An HOUR!

Actually everything cool, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Lululemon, H&M......all far away.
sad SAD SAD.

We do have a nice shopping center that has a Buckle, Dillards, Sephora and some other stores I frequent about 10 miles down the road, so that's convenient, but not ideal.

Anyway, we (me and C) made a trip to Lululemeon because I needed some new groove pants (the BESTEST yoga pants ever made) since they are essentially my "work clothes" and the 2 pairs I've been rotating were starting to look ratty.


I am hopeful that Lulu has fixed the problem of sheerness with the Wunder Under crops, since I need a new pair of crops and these would be ideal. I'm going to be waiting until July to read the reviews first. :) BTW...I've gotten a lot of compliments on my headbands and they are Bang Buster's from Lulu. They are the only headbands I will wear when working out, find them HERE!

And right by Lulu in Snooty McSnootville, is Trader Joe's.

These cookies right here.....

Heavenly. AND 110 calories A POP! I should have just passed them by....but I didn't. The boys love them and the hubs and I do too. Yes, I know I shouldn't even have them in the house because they are too tempting....but they are SO GOOD!




And here is me trying to justify eating Reese's cups. It's DARK chocolate so that makes it healthy right? HAHAHAHA. No Rosie, it definitely doesn't. But damn they're good! Hubs has requested that I hide them so he can't eat them. NO PROBLEM. Can I hide them from myself too?



Here's my Trader Joe's haul. I picked up 6 bottles of their Low Cal Stevia sweetened lemonade. SO good. And $2.99 for a gallon of milk....yes please!! Up here at the local grocery store it's $4.20 for hormone/antibiotic free milk.

So.........

That's pretty much it. 1. No, SE doesn't speak Spanish...but I wish he'd talk to more people. and I have faith it will happen. 2. The day will come when we can attend a party as a family and it won't look like a relay with mom and dad chasing after children. 3. The Oscar Mayer weinermobile is pretty cool. 4. Bringing Sam's cupcakes to the end of the year class picnic will make you THE coolest mom ever. 5. 6:40am is a re-DONK-ulous time for a 4 year old to get on the bus for summer school. 6. Trader Joe's is like crack. Or what I envision crack being like. I think about it often and a feeling of absolute euphoria comes over me as I walk in the doors.



And that's it for now peeps! Until next time!


love,
Supermamarosie

2 comments:

  1. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are 50 miles away from me, too! I'll make it there one day...

    ReplyDelete