Monday, June 3, 2013

Why I workout so much....

So, a lot of people ask me why I workout so much. 



I'm sure a lot of people workout just as much, if not more, than I do.

So recently I sat down and really asked myself why I workout.  Because truthfully....munching on Oreos while watching TV all day would be easier.

Now, I would be lying if I said I didn't workout to look better.  I do.  And call me vain, but that's like 45% of the reason I kill myself in the gym.  I only wish my diet would reflect that kind of dedication, but I'll get to that later.

So...if it's not 100% for looks, what's the majority of the reason I workout?


Here's one.

Here's another one.


 
And another one.
 


That's right.  I do it for my family.  No one ever likes to think about what would happen if they died, but I actually have.  I think most special needs parents do.  Who would take care of my kids?  What would happen with their therapies?  Who would look out for them while their father is working? 

Statistically speaking 80% of individuals with Autism over the age of 18 do not live independently.  That means the hubs and I might have the boys with us a very long time.  So we need to be healthy.....in order to keep up and care for them.

I take care of all the information regarding therapy for the boys.  My hubs is informed and involved, but the Army doesn't always allow for him to come to all IEP or IFSP or ABA team meetings.  That's my job primarily.  It's important for me to A. be around, ie alive and coherent and B. not sick all the time.  Having a healthy lifestyle aids in that.

I also work so hard at it because I have a terrible family health history.  I'm talking my grandparents.  Stroke, heart disease and heart attacks, hypertension, diabetes and cancer.  And those are just the pertinent ones. 

Now, here's where diet comes in.  I've heard that diet is 70% and exercise is 30% when thinking about weight loss and transforming your body.  I tend to lean towards diet being 80%.  I work my butt off and sweat A LOT and the only time things ever really change is when I eat clean.  Which I totally didn't do this past weekend.

 
Oh Five Guys....so good.

 
Yogurtini....YUM!  That's Birthday cake frozen yogurt with waffle cone pieces, Oreo chunks, marshmallow creme and caramel.  OMG...it was so good. 


What is eating clean?  Well, it's actually pretty simple.  Cut out the sugary, fatty, processed CRAP.  Basically the crap in a cup in the bowl pictured above. If it comes in a box...don't eat it (unless it's oatmeal--the kind you cook, not instant packets).  Eat whole and REAL food.  Yes, it's expensive and a PITA (pain in the ass) because you have to prep and cook a lot, but it's worth it.  You'll feel better!  I promise!!  (After the sugar withdrawal headaches go away).

So if you don't have anyone to be healthy for.....do it for yourself.
 
On that note, while this wasn't the funniest, most clever post, I hope it's given you some insight into my life and maybe if you are on the brink of making some healthy changes....GO FOR IT!  The only thing you have to lose is......your health.


love,
Supermama rosie

2 comments:

  1. AMEN. I eat candy like it's going out of style, so I have to hit the gym almost every single day to negate it. Also, I am terrified that I will go before Andrew and then who will take care of him? As his DMD progresses, he will need to be lifted more and more. Plus he's growing, so he's getting heavier as he is getting weaker - so I MUST stay strong enough to carry him. And that's my bottom line as far as motivation - staying strong enough to carry my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh KP! You are so spot on with the absolute terror of who would take care of your child if you were to go before them. And you are truly a supermama!!

    ReplyDelete