Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Let's dust off these cobwebs.....

Whoa!  It's been a bit since I've updated this bloggity blog blog! 

Things have been a bit busy around here!!! 

Let's sum up the month of July and the end of June: Trip home with the boys for a family wedding, 4th of July celebration, trip to Minnesota for a family funeral, new therapists for the boys, new supplements for the boys and doc appts for Mom.  Oh, and the stress of finals for the hubs.

I decided to go out to Colorado for my cousin's wedding because each of the last times I've seen that side (my biological father's) of my family it's been for a funeral.  And let's face it.......that stinks.  It's hard to be happy and smiling in photos and conversations when someone close to you has passed.

Now...I wanted to have fun at the wedding.  Not be stressed about SE and C.  So they stayed home with my in laws.  Not that I don't think my kids are fun....they are.  But they are also a LOT of work.  I wanted to hang out with my family, not constantly be pulled away from conversations because my children were running wild, spilling beverages, needing diaper changes or melting down from the over stimulation of meeting new family members, loud music and all the rest of things that come with family get togethers.

That said....the wedding was in Denver and you know what else is in Denver???  IKEA.  Yeah...we don't have one in KC yet and while one is being built....we all know that it will open the week after we move or something. :-P

So...yep, I shopped at IKEA in my wedding duds.  Best dressed shopper in IKEA baby!!!


 
 
 
The wedding was beautiful and I was so happy to be there with a lot of my family that I hadn't seen in a year.  Wish more of the cousins could have made it, but I'm sure I'll see them sometime!!  Maybe we'll be able to make the next family reunion!  About 1/4 of the cousins in this pic!
 


My mom and J came with me since I was dateless due to my hubs having to stay home.  I swear, my family is going to start thinking I'm making his existence up.


 
It was a short and fast visit home, but if you know me....we packed as much in as we could!!  Including some time up in the mountains for the Cripple Creek/Victor train ride!
 
 
 
 
 
C (of course) LOVED every minute of it.  He's the train enthusiast, so I wasn't surprised.  SE liked it too, but the loud sound of the engine was a bit much for him.  I wasn't thinking it would be loud, but I definitely could have used his earmuffs. 
 
That trip taught me to always keep a pair with me at all times and it's come in handy because he has requested them several times.
 
And no childhood would be complete without a trip to the North Pole!!
 
 
I clearly look excited to go on all the rides huh?  LOL!!!




 
 
 
We returned home in time for one of our favorite holidays......Independence Day!!!
 
The night before the 4th, SE requested to go outside to look at the fireworks.  Now, in a stark contrast from our home state of Colorado that would ignite at the mere thought of fireworks, here in Missouri large fireworks are legal and plentiful!
 
Now this is a REALLY big deal because last year SE was very afraid of large fireworks.  Like he was cowering in fear under the table on the deck.  This year he REQUESTED to go out!!  And LOVED the fireworks.  I put his earmuffs on so he'd be more comfortable.
 
 
 
Last year we had some friends over for a small BBQ, this year it was just us 4.  Maybe next year we'll have a little get together.
 
 


 
 
Even Lucy got in on the festivities!!! I took this photo for the yellow lab group I belong to on Facebook.
 
 
Shortly after that we got some bad news that my hubs' uncle had passed away.  We felt it important to go to the funeral.  It was sad to say goodbye, but we did get to see a lot of family that we hadn't seen in years!  Heck, the majority of my hubs' family hadn't even MET C.
 
So we packed up the 'Burb, had a dear friend watch Lucy for us and started trucking up I-35.
 
We stopped in the corn state...oh wait, my bad...Iowa, for breakfast. 
 
We're foodies.  As in, we watch those food shows on the Travel Channel and Food Network and say, "If we're ever in (location of restaurant of that particular show) we're gonna eat there".
 
Well....if you've ever seen 'Breakfast Paradise' on the Travel Channel.......the Machine Shed in Des Moines is on there.  This is the cinnamon roll we got.  All 4 of us shared it....and it was SO GOOD!
 




 


My grandparents are no longer living, so it's extra important we visit my hubs' maternal grandparents.

4 generations in this photo!


 
 
And what cousins on my hubs side have had the O basement experience??  Every.Single.One.  Now our kids are in that bright orange/red carpet club!
 
 

 
 
Carson....the budding pianist/organist.

 
Switching gears....
 
So here's something I don't like about having so many therapies for my boys....therapist turnover.  Both boys have had multiple therapists in the last year.  SE's whole ABA team is new and C is about ready to get a new therapist to fit the hours he's due into the short time before school starts and state services end.  Blah.  I fear change in this respect.  If something's not broke....I don't wanna mess with it.  But if people leave for new positions, schooling or simply schedules don't jive anymore...what can you do?
 
I also started them on a couple new supplements.  Agape, which is a multi vitamin with a ton of B12 which is a micro nutrient that ASD kids are lacking most times and good 'ol cod liver oil.  Diapers have been....well....interesting to say the least but hey....it's better than having a patient with C diff.  (My nursing friends will appreciate that).  We have seen improvement in eye contact and joint attention with C and with SE he's been more verbal.  Good stuff.  We'll keep it up.
 
And as for me...well, I think this particular blog is long enough, so maybe I'll do a "beauty blog" and address some of that stuff.
 
love,
Supermama rosie
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment