Monday, June 10, 2013

Real Housewives FINALLY shows REAL LIFE!

So, I'm an avid Real Housewives watcher.  Well maybe not avid.....I pick and choose.

I watch OC, Beverly Hills, Miami and my 2 favorites...Atlanta and New Jersey.

Last season on the RHofNJ it was revealed at the reunion show that Jacqueline's youngest son, Nick, was diagnosed with Autism.  She did several interviews after that and was not candid about her feelings, crying several times. 

And you know what?  I appreciated that.  She's REAL.  Those are real feelings about her son.  It's the way millions of parents feel across the country.   It's how I felt.  Remember, Autism is now affecting 1 out of every 50 children.

Last night part of the episode really showed how Jacqueline and her husband Chris are dealing with Autism.  There were a lot of tears shed by Jacqueline and I shed some too, just watching and almost reliving those moments when the diagnoses came down for my two sons.  It hurts.

You (as a mother) know in your heart that it's Autism but when the doctor actually tells you......it finally hits home that it's REAL.  Yes, this is happening...to your kids, to you and your family.  And it's LIFE ALTERING. 

In the show Jacqueline reveals that her son regressed from sentences to being non verbal.  From answering to his name to ignoring them.  Sounded familiar.  C regressed too.  SE was just never at the point communication wise that he *could* regress.

Spoiler alert!!!!  If you don't want to know what happens in the episode...go watch it then come back here and read!

At one point in the episode Chris reveals that he's been working on Nick saying 'I love you'.  This was pivotal because on the reunion show of the previous season one of the saddest parts was when Jacqueline states that her son doesn't say 'I love you' anymore and Caroline hugs her as she's sobbing and says "He'll say it again, I know he will".

Super tears there too.  It hurt me to see her going through the same thing I went through.  What so many families are going through.  What one family goes through every 20 minutes when their child is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Anywho...close to the end of the episode Chris has Nick tell his mom 'I love you'.  Here's the link if you want to cry your eyes out: Nick tells Jacqueline 'I love you'

He has a dum dum sucker for a reinforcer.  Awesome.  AND what's better is that many of their friends and family were there to see it.

That was important to me because it gave them a glimpse into what life with a child with Autism is like.

Many people take for granted the things that come so easy for their children.

"Mommy....my tummy hurts".  I've never heard it.  I don't know my kids are sick until they're puking everywhere.

"Mommy, I'm scared".  I don't know that until one of the boys is shaking like a leaf in my arms and screaming bloody murder.

And my biggest fear......

"Mommy, my teacher (or another student) was mean to me today".

How would you feel if you knew your child couldn't tell you if the bus driver mistreated them?  Or if they were getting bullied in school?

Horrible.  That's how.  And that's exactly how I feel.  SE isn't to that point yet and if something were to happen, God forbid, I would have NO idea.  I have to trust these people caring for and educating my son.

At the end of the above mentioned clip, Jacqueline states that the moment her son said 'I love you' gave her hope.  Hope because if he can say that....he can say a lot more.  And that's how I feel with both boys. 

October 27th, 2011.  What an absolutely moving day for us.  I'll remember it forever.  It was the day SE said 'hi' to me for the very first time.  He was 2 1/2 years old.  I cried like nobody's business!!!!  I was so happy.  For the exact same reason Jacqueline was hopeful for her son.  If SE could say 'hi', he could say more.  And just the other day he did just that.

We were sitting on the couch in the family room and C's speech therapist Amy was here working with C.  C was running all around (actually the same day he fractured his wrist) and SE asked me for Orangie (his lovey).  I told him Orangie was upstairs and he could go get him.  SE looks at me and says "No Mommy, you go get Orangie".  I looked at Amy and said, "Did he just tell me to go get him"?  We both agreed that he did.  Wow, how far we've come!

 
 
Both my boys are making progress.  But we still have so far to go.  Our goal was to have SE in a regular education Kindergarten class with an aide.  He has one more year of preschool then we'll have to make a decision. 
 
It's frustrating because while I love the therapists that come into our home, I know SE would do so much better in the structured environment of a center.  However, we don't have the money to pay out of pocket and the closest center (17 miles one way) away doesn't take our insurance right now.  So they are trying to get credentialed with Tricare and I'm hoping both will be in the center by the start of the school year in August.  Fingers are crossed!
 
With SE in a center and in preschool for a full year before Kindergarten....watch out, the sky's the limit!!!!
 
So I hope they continue to show Nick and his progress on the show.  And showing the struggles would be beneficial too.  I think they could make a great impact on people who otherwise wouldn't even get exposed to the world of Autism!
 
 
I absolutely love these boys!  And while I have accepted their diagnoses, I refuse to keep them in that box! 
 


 

love,
Supermama rosie
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment