Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tornados and a surprise visit!!!!

We live on the KS/MO border. 

AKA....in the middle of.....TORNADO ALLEY.


Yeah, that's us.  Right in the middle!


We, luckily, have a basement area that I stock with water, food, extra changes of clothes and shoes, a radio, flashlights, an air mattress with blankets and in the event we are put on warning, I'll bring our important documents (birth certs, social security cards, photos, passports, tax records etc.) down there as well.

When the horrific tornadoes hit Oklahoma and Kansas last week and the week before looking at the images I couldn't help but think....OMG, what if that happened to us?!?!?  What if my son were at school??  What if the hubs is at work?!?!?!  SCARY!!

Here are a couple pics of the sky last week taken from my back deck!  Very ominous!!




Hopefully we'll never have to find out.

I'm definitely sending prayers out to the victims of these horrific acts of nature.  Those images from Moore, OK really got me.  Especially the kids in the school.  I couldn't even imagine dragging little bodies out of that rubble.  Hence, why I'll NEVER be a Peds nurse.  EVER.  You know how they say never say never?  I'm saying never.

So....let's move on to happier stuff!

Finally....my arms (at the right angles in the gym mirror) are looking a little better!!   Yes, it may seem a little narcissistic that I take a photo of myself in the gym everyday BUT I have my reasons.

 
 


One.....I like to have record of my progress.  And I know what you're thinking...."yeah...but do you have to post it to FB and IG if it's for YOUR record"? 

Nope, I sure don't have to, but I like to.  And that leads me to me second reason.  I post because I have several FB friends and followers on IG that have told me that my posts and photos help them stick with their health and fitness goals or even start exercising.  Not to toot my own horn...but a couple have even said they're inspirational. 

Um....toot toot!

That makes my heart SWELL!!  Not with pride, well maybe a little, but I love that people are getting healthy and making positive changes in their lives!

I also recently started a new workout program. 

Here it is: Shortcut to Size It's an intense program and I'm loving it. 

It's crazy hard and it uses microcycles for periodization; I feel absolutely spent after every single workout.  It's Wednesday and my legs are still sore from my leg day on Friday of last week!

I'm going to keep busting my butt until I reach my goals! 



However, something that keeps bugging me is the lack of women in the weights section.  Especially free weights.  I often take for granted that I've been strength training for 18 years, since my sophomore year of high school.  But only now I'm getting serious about lifting HEAVY weight.  That's really the only way my muscles respond.  But I do think that more women need to lift...heavy.  Lifting weights build muscle and muscle burns FAT!

But lifting this hard, doing cardio AND teaching classes is making me EAT.  Shoot! 

However, I am getting help and support from some good friends in person, through my challenge Facebook page and via text.  I can do this!!!  And I won't beat myself up when I slip.

This last week was the first week of summer break.  And we've been having fun!  I've been enjoying some quality time with my sons.

 

 

 
 

 
 
Sitting in your toy box is for the cool kids.
 
 


 
Riding your car on the couch is also for the cool kids.
 
 
 
At the end of the week we got a SUPER surprise!!
 
Now most people would freak out at the thought of their in-laws calling and telling them they would be stopping by in 6 hours.  But we were SO excited!!  The only thing that didn't have me too excited was cleaning up all the dog hair in the guest room.  Lucy sheds like a maniac!
 
 
We decided to go out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse (which is basically the family staple) and C was SO scared to go in!  Weird.  So we decided to go to Five Guys instead.  Which was okay, but I certainly would have rather had a steak.  But C was uncomfortable and scared so we all decided it was a better choice to go somewhere he was okay with.
 
 
 
Snuggling with Grandma!

 
 



We also did a little shopping!


Papa wanted to ride with SE in the cart!

And Cabela's too!!


Feeding the fish!
 
 



This last week (between the rain) provided some great days for running.  So I took the boys out and we ventured into the jungle....wait, I mean the trail system by our house.  The boys fell asleep, which was awesome because I didn't have to hear, "Out"! "All done"!


 
 

Which leads me to my next beef with Missouri.....TICKS.  Gross. Removed one from SE last week after we went to the playground on post.

 
 
And here comes my nurse speech.  Make sure to check yourself, your kids, your spouse and your pets for ticks when coming in from outside.
 
Also, the proper way to remove a tick is to use fine point tweezers to grasp the tick where it's attached and pull it out with strong steady pressure.  When it's out, clean the area with soap and water or alcohol.  Check the area later for the signature bulls eye mark that is characteristic of Lyme disease. *steps down off nurse soapbox*
 
 
And now for the least fun event of the week.
 
 
Yesterday during speech therapy at home, C rolled off the bean bag (we have one of those HUGE 5ft ones) while he was playing and landed on his wrist funny.  He cried, and cried.....and cried.  Then was holding it and saying "Owie" and "It hurt".  So I knew something was up.  Especially when he wouldn't calm down. 
 
 
So I called the hubs and he had an ortho doc put in an order for an x-ray.  We got to the clinic on post and strolled right into x-ray.  No wait.  SWEET!  C slept through the whole thing.  Even better!!
 
 
And then he even slept through one of the clinic techs putting the splint on!!  I let her know that when we come back Friday morning.....it won't be that easy to put the hard cast on. LOL.  The whole process only took an hour!





He's adjusting well.  The best thing about the splint is that he can't really climb with it, so I haven't had to scold him for climbing ON the entertainment center!  I've been giving him Tylenol when he tells me that it hurts or when I notice he's extra irritable and tugging at the bandages.

Ah....how did we know C would be the one to break a bone first?!?!?!  Oh, because DANGER is his middle name!!

That's it for now!  Hope you all are having a fantastic day.  I'm about to grab the boys and take a trip to Sam's Club.  I'm sure they'll request pizza the minute we walk in.  I guess that will be their dinner.  Mother of the year here!!!  LOL.  Such a hypocrite talking about eating well and here I am giving my kids pizza.  Hmph!

love,
Supermama rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment