Saturday, February 2, 2013

SPD....Simple, Perfect, Delicate...OR.....

SPD really stands for Sensory Processing Disorder.  Both my kidlets have this in addition to their ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).  In fact, most children on the spectrum have SPD too.  So...what IS SPD?  Well here's a handy dandy definition courtesy of spdfoundation.net:

     Sensory processing (sometimes called "sensory integration" or SI) is a term that refers to the way the nervous system receives messages from the senses and turns them into appropriate motor and behavioral responses. Whether you are biting into a hamburger, riding a bicycle, or reading a book, your successful completion of the activity requires processing sensation or "sensory integration."

So here's what happens when our signals get crossed.......
 
Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD, formerly known as "sensory integration dysfunction") is a condition that exists when sensory signals don't get organized into appropriate responses. Pioneering occupational therapist and neuroscientist A. Jean Ayres, PhD, likened SPD to a neurological "traffic jam" that prevents certain parts of the brain from receiving the information needed to interpret sensory information correctly. A person with SPD finds it difficult to process and act upon information received through the senses, which creates challenges in performing countless everyday tasks. Motor clumsiness, behavioral problems, anxiety, depression, school failure, and other impacts may result if the disorder is not treated effectively.

Alright...here's what it looks like in SE and C.

SE is a really active kid.  He runs A LOT.  When he is stationary for what seems like an incredibly breif amount of time during his waking hours, he fidgets.  What I'm trying to say is he is CONSTANTLY in motion.  Story time at the library??  Forget about it!  SE wouldn't sit and listen for longer than 3 minutes (if that) without what we call a 'fidget'.  It's like his buns are on fire.  Anyway, a fidget is something given to kids to attract their attention and provide positive reinforcement for sitting. 

SE also loves to run and crash into our couches.  Loves to spin, be thrown up in the air and crash down into our 5ft bean bag otherwise known as the 'crash pad'.  He also doesn't like grass, especially dry grass, if he falls down into it he'll raise his hands up like he just touched a booger covered in vomit.  Seriously...that's how repulsed he is.  Swinging and jumping are also times when he's most focused.  His speech improves and his joint attention is fantastic.  Why?  Because his body is getting the 'input' it needs for his brain to process better.  SE loves playing in shaving cream and paint now, but this skill has been taught.  He initially ran for the hills when that stuff came out.  On the plus side....makes for a cleaner play time!  The most obvious sign to outsiders (people not familiar with our family) is when SE gets overwhelmed and I squeeze his head, arms, legs, hands and feet.  I provide gentle, but steady pressure for about 5 seconds on each body part and it relaxes him.


C is a lot like SE, but has NO problem with anything messy.  As a matter of fact, one of our OTs brought some fingerpaints to a session and had him play and draw lines with paint on his highchair table.  He drove his Percy train through the paint and had NO problem with it.  Me on the other hand, I thought I was going to break into a sweat and scream when I was looking at it.  I'm not the most tidy person in the world, but for some reason seeing that activity drove me nuts.  And I wonder why my kids are the way they are?!?!?!  LOL!  C craves deep input.  He loves to 'tripod'.  So standing, he bends over at the waist and puts his head on the floor.  Also loves to "hike" things through his legs.  Perhaps a career in the NFL as a long snapper is in the cards for him???  He also likes the steady pressure and likes to crash into the couches and bean bag.


Ever see those kids with noise reducing headphones on?  SPD.  Although I'd like to wear those sometimes just so I don't have to listen to people.


SO......weighted items like lap pads, blankets and vests are often helpful for kids with SPD. 
Now, if you look on a therapy site....$150 for a blanket....EASY.  My friend Ann who has twin boys on the spectrum made her own, and I thought that was a great idea, so I jumped on it!  She did hers with fleece and I'm making mine with cotton and flannel.

How heavy are these blankets?!?!  Well, OTs (Occupational Therapists) suggest 5%-10% of the child's body weight.  I used 2.5lbs for the lap pad and I'll do 10% of each boy's weight for their blankets.

Here's my lap pad:






SE had to inspect the finished product.
 
 
 
 
I'll get started on the next lap pad tomorrow!
 


 Might as well do some learnin' while we're at it.  This fabric has states and capitals on it!
 
Now.....onto my day.
 
Woke up at 800am all ready to get myself together to run my 8 miles.  While I'm putting my leggings on I get a text...."Is the CPR class at 930?"  OH SNAP!  I totally spaced it!!  Change o plans peeps. 
So no run today and after CPR...went grocery shopping, since yesterday's plans were thrown in the crapper because of the battery issue.
 
WHAT WAS I THINKING GOING TO WALMART, A. On a Saturday and B. On the Saturday BEFORE Superbowl Sunday?!?!?!?!?!  I waited at least 3 whole minutes to get to the milk case and get my 3 gallons. 
 
And can I just tell you how RUDE people are here!  Not Virginia rude (those were some of the rudest people in the world there), but not Texas nice either.  On a sidenote, as much as I like it here....I would love to move back to Texas for our next assignment.  Just not to Ft. Hood. :-P
 
Had some Hobby Lobby time (to get fabric for the blankets and needles for the sewing machine), grocery shopped, then went to Walgreens to get some of that L'Oreal BB cream.  I heard it was the shizz as far as primer under foundation, so we shall see.
 
I will get my run in tomorrow morning.  I have 8 on tap and will attempt to run at a 10:15 pace the whole way.  I'll need it before the SupersnackBowl. :)
 
Here's the menu for Supermama's house.  No party, just the 4 of us hanging out.  The boys hopefully will eat the pizza bread.  Fingers crossed.  I don't like being a short order cook, but I am most days due to the boy's pickiness and SPD issues with certain foods.  Anyway, back to the good stuff!  Don't those chicken tenders look fab?!?!?!
 
Coconut Chicken Tenders
 

 

Queso!!!!!
(I love queso so much I could probably just drink it right out of the freaking bowl...yeah that's gross and you know what.....I don't care....it's just that good.)
 
 
Pepperoni Pizza Monkeybread!!!!
 
 
But I'll have my customary oatmeal with flax and chia seeds for breakfast and a salad for lunch.  Then I'll pig out like I've never seen food before.  And probably get a stomach ache from eating all that fat and grease.  But it'll be worth it as the feel good, eating bad food endorphins flood my brain.
 
Okay...no I won't pig out like a ravenous heathen, but dang it, I'm going to enjoy the food I made!!
 
And then weights on Monday!!!  WOOOO!!!  Operation Cameron Diaz tank top arms is in FULL EFFECT baby!
 
 
Alright ya'll.  I guess I'll clear off the hubs' side of the bed so he doesn't have to when he comes up to bed.  I'm so nice. o_O .  Poor guy has been studying all day.  Loves school I tell you.  That guy can't get enough learnin' in!  I bet after his PhD some other degree will come up and he'll want to do that.  He's like Calvin from the old McDonald's commercials!!  Doing it right!!!
 
Okay, I'm out!
 

love,

Supermama rosie



No comments:

Post a Comment